It’s the start of a new year and you are pumped to get or keep going on your new years resolutions…right?!? Or, now that we are a few weeks into the year have you found yourself stumbling out of the gate? Do you need a push or a gentle reminder? Do you find yourself doing “busywork” much more than some of your most passionate work, you know…the things that motivate you? We are all human, but that’s the point. We are human beings, not human doings. Sure, you have things that must get done every day but are you consciously making time for the things you really want to do?
As human beings we have the ability to make a conscious choice to embrace life, and live our best life. But why do we get caught up in all of this busywork hour after hour, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year? It’s because we chug along in life doing what we feel we need to do, but we don’t take enough moments to clarify what it is that really matters to us. We just keep doing what we’re doing because others have told us that this is what we should do in life. Have you taken the time to figure out yet what YOUR bestlife looks like?
Living your bestlife may include many different areas including:
- Health and wellness
- Joy and happiness (see #happiness (How can I get some of that!) Part I)
- Success (as you define it)
- Life purpose (e.g. serving others, family)
- Attitude (see Your Attitude is Contagious)
So how are you going to live your bestlife? Start with this: picture yourself doing what you love to do whether it’s serving others, taking a walk in nature, slowing down at times
to appreciate the little things in life, or taking a course in something that you love. How does it feel? Pretty good hey? So how do you get to this place? TAKE ACTION! Sure, easier said than done. So how do we take action?
- Put one foot in front of the other. Repeat.
- Research and spend time with who/what you love.
- Take a course or read about something that’s interesting to you.
- Say no to busywork sometimes.
- Strike a healthy balance between work and play.
- Make better choices (i.e. stop and ask yourself if this current decision is beneficial for yourself, or serves others).
- Find a passion and motivation, see Motivation – it’s an inside job.
One more important thing. Put aside all of the things everyone told you about who you are and what you should do. Now take some time to figure out who you really are and what you love to do (your life purpose). Once again I’ll repeat this…then TAKE ACTION! Always remember that this is all on you, and you can do it. Make it happen.
For further information check out a previous blog on Embracing Life Every Day.
If you have anything to add to this or any general questions on living your bestlife I would love to hear from you. We are all in this together, and I want to learn from others too.
Embracing life as best I can,